Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Digitally Bionic




My new hearing aid is BTE as my hearing loss is severe to profound already. I needed a powerful aid which is not available in ITE models. I wanted grey or blue color but there's none available. My son thinks the color flesh is so uncool. I promised him a magenta next time around.


Last week I bought me a new hearing aid. It's Phonak from Switzerland. It's my fourth hearing aid since I was twenty-two. Now I'm digitally bionic again. cheers!

The past days I was busy recognizing the new sounds my aid gathers around me. I specialy liked the bird music I hear in the morning when I turn on my aid. I also liked the resurected sounds of my footsteps. But not all sounds are pleasant to hear. Although I avoid using the word hate, that is the only word to describe my reaction against the sound of automobiles and electrical appliances. They're so annoying and even competes with the tinnitus already buzzing inside my ear. Oh well, the audiometrist who fitted me with the Phonak aid said I should have realistic expectations and that learning to use my aid to my greatest advantage will take time. I'm being realistic and patient, ok? At least I can hear and understand speech again. I was surprised to hear my sister's voice again after a long time and I think her voice has matured. My son's voice was good to hear again and I felt like hugging him tight like I missed him terribly. My daughter who had become an expert in lip speaking seem to have forgotten to speak to me in the normal way. I kept telling her to speak up, put voice to her speech. All in all this is a hapy experience I want to document in my blog, thank you.

Anyways, last week when my sister Teresa accompanied me to my audiologist she lent me a book titled The Shack. It is a very controversial book as it contained very radical ideas about God and religion. I have finished reading the book but I'm re-reading it again and I'm taking notes. I'm very excited about this book and will write a long blog post entirely about it soon. For starters, I want to tell you that I'm very happy these days after many years of nursing a 'Certain Sadness' in my heart. The happiness is not the flimsy, human kind of happiness. It is strong and enduring.

3 comments:

Phil Lowe said...

Great to read that the hearing aid has had some benefit to your hearing and whilst I have never suffered in this way I totally understand your reactions when hearing your sons voice and wanting to hug him

Athina said...

Ya, Phil my new hearing aid gives clear voice sound and that was the first time I heard my son's voice clearly. It's a man's voice already. :)

Thanks for being brave anough to follow my blog. Lol.

Phil Lowe said...

not at all. :0)